Shocking footage shows Hong Kong protestor shot at point-blank range

At least one Hong Kong protester shot by police during morning rush hour

The article also cited a report of a middle-aged man being set on fire in Hong Kong on Monday following an apparent dispute over national identity. Police said he was in critical condition. A Hospital Authority spokesperson later confirmed that the man was in critical condition.

An online video shows a police officer collaring one protester and then shooting another who approaches. He has since been discharged from hospital.

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam said protesters were being selfish and she hoped that universities and schools would urge students not to take part in the demonstrations.

She went on to declare that the city's "rioters" would not cause her government to yield to their "so-called political demands" by escalating violence, referring to them as the "enemies of the people".

Many mainland China students have fled violence in Hong Kong to take advantage of a program that offers them free temporary accommodation in the mainland city of Shenzhen.

Over 260 people have been arrested, Hong Kong police said on the agency's Twitter account.

During the confrontation, the man, wearing a green shirt, argued with the protesters and told them they were all Chinese, the video showed.

In an early morning press conference on November 13, police said they had retreated from the CUHK campus by 10:15 after deploying a "crowd control vehicle". "Everyone is [a] loser".

The bureau also appealed for "school children to stay at home, not to hang around in the streets, to stay away from danger, and not to participate in illegal activities".

Hong Kong protesters seeking to halt subway lines and block roads disrupted the morning commute on Tuesday for a second straight day, prompting police to fire tear gas in at least one location.

The police, however, said protesters in the campus had thrown debris and petrol bombs onto a nearby highway linking the Northern New Territories with Kowloon, bringing traffic to a standstill in a haze of tear gas smoke.

Lam pledged Monday to stop the violent protests in comments suggesting harsher legal and police measures could be coming.

Clashes continued until nearly midnight in multiple districts after police withdrew from the campus, including Tuen Mun, Tin Shui Wai, Yuen Long, and Sham Shui Po.

On Monday, a police officer drew his gun during a struggle with protesters, shooting one in the abdomen. The Airport Authority Hong Kong warned passengers of traffic disruption, and many major universities were closed.

Tear gas and rubber bullets were fired in multiple districts.

Police have arrested more than 3,000 protesters since June, on charges such as illegal assembly and rioting.

A fire had been set inside a train at Kwai Fong station and service had been suspended at several stations, public broadcaster RTHK reported.

Last weekend, anti-government protesters crowded into a shopping mall when a man slashed people with a knife and bit off part of a politician's ear.

Stocks tumbled on Monday as clashes grew increasingly tense.

Scores of officers charged onto the campus after firing tear gas, arresting student protesters who tried to block their way with makeshift barricades, including a burning vehicle.

The government issued a statement on Monday saying that online rumors that it would "announce the suspension of work, classes and the stock market under the Emergency Regulations Ordinance", the colonial-era law that gives the government sweeping powers and was used to introduce the anti-mask law on October 4, were "absolutely not true".

"At the beginning, not everyone wore masks", said Josephine, a 24-year-old who sported a turquoise surgical face mask.

A footbridge at the outskirts of the campus became the site of an hours-long standoff at nightfall, with police firing tear gas shortly before 7.30 p.m., according to Hong Kong Free Press.

Latest News