He developed mild respiratory symptoms that worsened and he was hospitalized on August 22, then transferred on September 4 to Mercy Hospital St. Louis, where he died.
In addition to providing an update on the cases, Washington Post reports that the FDA's Office of Criminal Investigations opened its own criminal probe into the matter earlier this summer shortly after reports of the illness were published.
"Unfortunately, at the time he started, he didn't know the dangers of vaping, so he continued to use the instrument that was potentially causing his shortness of breath and other problems", Plisco said.
The FDA reportedly said it isn't seeking prosecution for ill people who've vaped cannabis and come forward with information. Regardless of the investigation, youths, young adults, pregnant women and adults who don't now use tobacco products should not use them, Dr. Anne Schuchat, the principal deputy director of the CDC, said during the briefing.
Initial data showed most patients having reported a history of using e-cigarette products containing THC or products containing nicotine; some patients reported using both types of products.
A statement from British Columbia's provincial health officer said there is no known case there and no investigations are underway.
The man who died in Missouri told his family he started vaping in May for chronic pain, but investigators have not yet determined if he was vaping THC, according to a spokeswoman at Mercy Hospital St. Louis. Seven deaths in six states have been attributed to the illness.
Of the reported cases of lung illness and injury, more than half are patients younger than 25, and three-quarters are male, Dr. Ann Schuchat, principal deputy director for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said in a press call. A bipartisan group in Congress is working with parents to keep teenagers away from e-cigarettes, while accusing the vaping industry of marketing to kids.
The FDA said it's gathered more than 150 vaping product samples for forensic analysis, according to USA Today. So far, no single vaping product or ingredient has been linked to the illnesses.
Health officials said the case involves an adult who reported symptoms similar to those reported in other cases across the country.
He said USA public health officials learned that those who fell sick had vaped within the last 90 days.