Texas girl, Lily Mae Avant, succumbs to the brain-eating amoeba

Avant contracted a rare brain-eating amoeba while swimming in a river in Texas and died on Sept. 16 2019

Texas girl, Lily Mae Avant, succumbs to the brain-eating amoeba

A Texas girl who was fighting to live after contracting a rare, brain-eating amoeba has died.

Lily Mae Avant, 10, was hospitalised for almost a week in Fort Worth, Texas, after swimming over Labour Day weekend in the Brazos River near Valley Mills, McClatchy news group previously reported.

On Labor Day weekend, Avant had gone swimming in the Brazos River, which is located near Waco, Texas. She came down with a headache and a fever after swimming in a pool the next weekend. Over the following days, she began acting strangely, according to her family. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the disease is nearly always fatal.

"She has and will continue to touch lives around the nation", the school wrote.

After becoming incoherent and unresponsive, Lily was flown to Cook Children's Medical Center in Fort Worth last Tuesday.

Doctors next transferred Lily to Cook Children's in Fort Worth, where a spinal tap discovered she had contracted Naegleriasis, an infection of the brain caused by the rare amoeba.

Between 2009 and 2018, 34 cases of the Naegleria fowleri infection were reported in the United States, the CDC said.

Chris Van Deusen, a spokesman for the Texas Department of State Health Services, confirmed to ABC News that there was a case of primary amebic meningoencephalitis caused by Naegleria fowleri in a resident of Bosque County, but couldn't provide further details on the patient due to privacy reasons.

She fought the good fight and built an army of prayer warriors around the world doing it, ' her aunt said on Facebook. "She's stronger than anyone I know".

"We started this platform because we wanted to bring awareness to amoeba in an effort to prevent any other family from having to go through this", the post said. The amoeba affects people when contaminated water enters the body through the nose and works its way into the brain.

"Please wear nose plugs, if you insist on swimming in warm freshwater". While infection is rare, people should be aware of the low-level risk while swimming in fresh water lakes, rivers, and hot springs. You can not get infected by the amoeba from swallowing water that's contaminated.

Latest News