Taliban revoke ban on Red Cross, provide security guarantees

The Mystery PR Man — or Three — Behind Taliban Propaganda

CaptionIs he real or fake? One man or many? Nobody knows for sure about Zabihullah

They were done so as to prevent future Taliban attacks on Afghan security forces, which have increased since talks broke down between the group and the United States.

The Taliban control or contest more than half of Afghanistan's 410 Afghan districts.

"After the elections, one of the main priorities of the government of Afghanistan, or the newly elected Afghan government by the people, would be to move forward with the peace process", said Seddiqi.

But the Taleban denied the governor had been killed. However, the Taliban didn't comment on his death.

The Taliban have sent a delegation to Russian Federation to discuss prospects for a withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan following the collapse of talks with the United States this month, officials from the insurgent group said.

"He (Nooruddin) is alive", Mr Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taleban spokesman, said in a statement.

Tadamichi Yamamoto said in an interview with NHK that the two sides are now the closest they have ever been during the past 18 years to achieving peace, although they have effectively shelved all negotiations. "If Trump wants to stop talks, we will take the first way and they will soon regret it".

However, the deal, intended as a preliminary step to a wider peace agreement, faced heavy criticism from the Afghan government, which was shut out of the talks.

U.S. President Donald Trump heads back to the Oval Office after attending an event establishing the U.S. Space Command, the sixth national armed service at the White House in Washington, on August 29, 2019.

This comes as the Afghan and U.S. forces have stepped up ground operations and airstrikes against Taliban and other militants across the country after the U.S. President Donald Trump called off peace talks with Taliban more than a week ago. Last week the Taliban killed four Afghan special force members in a auto bomb blast.

Despite President Ghani's offer in February 2018 for peace talks "without preconditions", the Taliban had until 2019 shown no interest, dismissing the peace overtures as a "conspiracy". The visit was confirmed to The Associated Press by a Taliban official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to reporters. "It was astonishing for us because we had already concluded the peace agreement with the American negotiating team", Shaheen told Al Jazeera.

Latest News