Rwanda has reopened its border with DR Congo, which was temporarily closed in order sensitize people on signs and dangers of Ebola virus and measures to prevent themselves from being infected.
All of them are members of the same family and had recently returned from the provincial capital city of Goma, where a man died from Ebola on Wednesday.
Earlier, Congolese health authorities confirmed that a third case had been diagnosed in Goma, increasing fears the virus could take root in the densely populated city, which lies more than 350 km (220 miles) south of where the outbreak was first detected. The Ebola coordinator for North Kivu province, Dr. Aruna Abedi, confirmed the wife's case to The Associated Press hours after that of the child. Last week, it designated the outbreak a global health emergency, its highest level of alarm. Last week Saudi Arabia stopped issuing visas to people from Congo while citing the Ebola outbreak, shortly before the annual hajj pilgrimage there this month.
A Congolese health worker administers ebola vaccination to a resident at a centre in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo, August 1, 2019.
"The border was never closed and it is not closed", Diane Gashumba told reporters as she sat next to the state minister of foreign affairs, Olivier Nduhungirehe, who earlier said it was shut.
"We're seeing the first active transmission chain in Goma and expect more to come", the International Rescue Committee's Ebola response director, Andre Heller, warned in a statement.
It also says the risk of regional spread is "very high".
Goma is a major transport hub that shares the border with the Rwandan city of Gisenyi, which has a population of more than 85,000. He arrived on July 13 from a mining area in northeastern Congo's Ituri province and started showing symptoms on July 22.
More than 5,000 health workers have been vaccinated against Ebola in the city and health centers have been provided with training and equipment to improve infection prevention and control, he said.
June 4: The outbreak surpasses 2,000 confirmed Ebola cases.
June 14: After a third emergency meeting, World Health Organization says the outbreak is not yet a global emergency. That case was a 46-year-old preacher who managed to pass through three health checkpoints on the way from Butembo, one of the communities hardest hit by this outbreak.
The current Ebola outbreak in the DRC is the second-deadliest in history, topped only by one in West Africa in 2014, when the disease killed more than 11,000 people, according to the WHO.