The toddler, who has not been publicly identified, went missing shortly after 11am and was discovered in the trap by a witness who pulled him free.
"It's a frightful, tragic accident, misadventure- whatever you call it- just a horrifying situation", Camp said.
A devastating story out of Rochester, New York, Monday: A child died after falling into a grease trap outside a restaurant. Emergency dispatchers received a second call at 11:03 a.m. stating that the child had been found in the grease trap.
The child was then taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead at noon after "every rescue attempt was made to resuscitate him", Camp said.
Investigators say someone who had heard the mom's panicked screams for help was looking around when they discovered the boy inside the grease trap, which was just a few feet outside the back door.
The statement said the company was cooperating with authorities and would not have any further comment as police investigate.
"What occurred today was a tragedy and on behalf of the Tim Hortons family, we offer our deepest condolences to the family and friends of the young boy who passed away".
The city is now pouring concrete around the opening in the ground where the grease trap was located and putting a metal lid on it, according to Camp. In Alabama, stricter legislation was passed requiring more secure covers after the 2017 death of a three-year-old girl in a grease trap.
The investigation is ongoing.
Reporters watched as officers tried to comfort distraught Tim Horton employees at the scene.