Red Sox Retired legend David Ortiz survives gunshot in Dominic Republic

Red Sox Retired legend David Ortiz survives gunshot in Dominic Republic

Red Sox Retired legend David Ortiz survives gunshot in Dominic Republic

The 43-year-old Ortiz, who played for the Red Sox between 2003 and 2016 and was a major part of its championship teams in 2004, 2007 and 2013, was shot last Sunday at a nightclub in the Dominican Republic.

Rolfy Ferreyra, third from left.

Rivas-Clase, who previously lived in Redding, allegedly "did conspire with another suspect to shoot the victim", the sheriff's office statement reads.

David Ortiz was shot while at a night club in the Dominican Republic over the weekend which was a huge shock to the baseball community.

Joel Rodríguez Cruz, a suspect in connection with the shooting of former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz, is taken to court by police in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Friday, June 14, 2019.

Thus far, Dominican authorities have not confirmed who ordered the hit on Ortiz or why he was targeted.

Ferreira-Cruz, of Reading, Penn., is also facing armed robbery charges in New Jersey. "We have offered David's family all available resources to aid in his recovery and will continue to keep them in our hearts", they said. Bail was set at $10,000, and records show bond was posted on November 29. His attorney in that case did not immediately return a message, while court records do not list an attorney in the attempted homicide case.

Following the shooting, Ortiz underwent two surgeries.

Nisdean Mirabal said his efforts to dissuade his son from criminality failed.

The sports community at large was shocked to find out that David Ortiz had been shot in his own country of the Dominican Republic, where the baseball legend was reportedly shot in the back at point-blank range. He is accused of driving a auto used to stalk Ortiz before two other young men on a motorcycle shot the slugger in the back.

"I know, from the video and the information that's been put out, that he's one of those responsible, and he needs to pay for what he's done, " the father said. He's now recovering in a Boston hospital.

In the Dominican Republic today, reporters camped outside the jail cell of Rolfi Ferreira Cruz who is the alleged shooter from the whole incident.

Ortiz's No. 34 was retired by the Red Sox following his playing career. But now, according to CNN, Cruz is saying that Ortiz was not his intended target.

Latest News