Coaching center owner arrested — Surat fire

Coaching center owner arrested — Surat fire

Coaching center owner arrested — Surat fire

"Extremely anguished by the fire tragedy in Surat".

He had also ordered a probe under Additional Chief Secretary of the Urban Development Department Mukesh Puri.

The manager of the coaching centre, Bhargav Bhutani, has been arrested. Sources said that the fire intensified after spreading to the transformer that was just three feet away from the complex. Media reports said the other two were on-the-run.

Earlier, an official had said the number was 23.

"Buildings below 15 metre should have fire extinguishers, sand buckets, hose reel and fire alarm system but such fire safety systems were not properly functioning in around 90% buildings", he said. Since Indore is an education hub where coaching classes held to prepare students for competitive examination, this can mean a much worse tragedy than the one recently took place in Surat.

It was found that three of the deceased - Yashvi Kevadiya, Mansi Varsani and Hasti Surani - had appeared for class 12 exams of the Gujarat board and passed, the results of which were declared on Saturday. The municipalities of all the cities in our country should be more strict and insistent on making every building adhere to fire safety rules. The commercial complex is located in Sarthana Area. A search was on for the builder.

The authorities have ordered high-level inquiry into the incident. Two officials of the Surat fire department have been negligence.

A total of 19 fire engines were pressed into service along with a couple of hydraulic platforms.

"India's growth story cannot be complete without a central law in respect of fire prevention, life safety and fire protection which could cover all the states and Union territories", UHRF Secretary Arun Pal Singh said.

An official at the Surat Municipal Corporation said no one was available for comment on the suspensions of the fire officials. In case of fire, students will have no route to escape and save themselves. "Since one can not sit on a chair in such a room, the owner used tyres instead of chairs for the students", the chief secretary told reporters here. The fi re broke out on the third fl oor and then spread to the Smart Design Studio on the fourth floor where students were preparing for the forthcoming NATA (National Aptitude Test in Architecture).

Tragically, hundreds of people watched and many shot videos and pictures while student after student fell off the building like ninepins.

It was an extraordinary decision which Ketan Jorawadia took and save the lives of over ten students who were trapped in Takshashila Arcade's razing fire here on Friday. "There was no safety equipment installed in the building", a fire official told the media. It is suspected to have been caused by a short circuit in the staircase of the third floor and spread to the design studio on the fourth floor.

Latest News