Yoga teacher found alive after missing for 2 weeks in Hawaii forest

Family confirms Maui hiker missing for more than two weeks found alive

Rescuers pose with Amanda Eller after finding her alive in the Maui mountains more than two weeks after she was last seen

A woman who went missing two weeks ago in Maui has been found alive.

Though Eller was dehydrated and sunburnt, her family told the outlet she was "physically okay" and able to speak, and was recovering at a local hospital.

MISSING PERSON The Maui Police Department is requesting the public's assistance in locating Amanda Eller who was reported missing on Thursday, May 9, 2019. "She got lost and was stuck and slightly injured in the forest - way way out". After police and fire personnel launched a three-day search, hundreds of volunteers followed with an all-out, daily hunt for the Haiku physical therapist. "They found her in a deep ravine, basically unable to get out, as I understand it", John Eller, Amanda's father said in an interview with Maui 24/7, HawaiiNewsNow reported.

"And those two things together are tied with her knowledge of the local vegetation there and the plenty of water, our lovely tropical climate", he said, adding that he knew all along "she can make it". "WE FOUND HER! ALIVE AND WELL (ish, I mean come on, I'd be painting coconuts and screaming WILSON!)", Berquist, one of her rescuers, wrote on Facebook.

The Honolulu newspaper also reported that a photo was posted to a Facebook page tracking the search, showing a smiling Eller with what appeared to be injuries to her face and dirt on her clothing.

Amanda Eller pictured with search team members Javier Cantellops‎ and Chris Berquist. "So I just want to encourage everyone to not give up hope".

Eller was in good condition, considering the circumstances, and spoke to her father via the helicopter. "It looks like she lost a little weight, got a really good suntan".

The successful rescue mission capped off a 17-day search in which friends and family of the Mechanicsville native had offered a $50,000 reward for information about what they feared was a possible abduction.

Javier Cantellops, one of the rescuers, told CNN that Eller was walking barefoot in a ravine, waving her arms at them.

"I felt in my heart she was alive", Julia said. "She was smart, she was strong, she was prepared", he told reporters. "I love you guys so much, thank you guys so much". "I'm just so incredibly grateful to have my girl home".

Latest News