Iran steps away from parts of nuclear deal

Iran to announce partial withdrawal from nuclear deal — Reports

Iran to restart some nuclear activity in response to US sanctions

While visiting Finland, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Iran has "threatened many things over the last two years". It suggested in its Tuesday edition that Iran may install advanced centrifuges at its Natanz facility and begin enrichment at its Fordo facility, activities prohibited under the nuclear deal.

A spokesman for Iran's Supreme National Security Council, Keivan Khosravi, also dismissed Bolton's comments as "psychological warfare".

The semi-official ISNA news agency reported late Tuesday that Zarif had left for Moscow to meet with Russian leader Vladimir Putin to discuss bilateral and global issues, without elaborating.

Iran's hard-line Javad newspaper, associated with the Revolutionary Guard, said Wednesday would "ignite the matchstick for burning the deal".

"The (nuclear) deal needs surgery; the promises are not being fulfilled".

The 2015 deal saw sanctions on Iran lifted in exchange for limits on its nuclear operations. Since then the U.S. has restored crippling economic sanctions on Iran, even as Tehran continued to abide by the accord, according to United Nations inspectors.

Since withdrawing from the nuclear deal, Washington has given waivers to some countries, mainly in Asia, to keep buying Iranian oil for a limited time. He did not elaborate. "We will not allow Iran to achieve nuclear weaponry".

Trump insists the original agreement did not go far enough in curbing Iran's nuclear weapons ambitions and wants to renegotiate the JCPOA with stricter terms, reimposing harsh sanctions to force Iran back to the negotiating table.

USA national security adviser John Bolton said on Sunday the United States was deploying the Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group and a bomber task force to the Middle East in a warning over threats by Iranian forces.

Adding to the tensions, Washington announced it was deploying an aircraft carrier strike group with several nuclear-capable B-52 bombers to the Middle East, and national security adviser John Bolton warned Washington would respond with "unrelenting force" to any attack by Tehran. He didn't provide details, but said the US wanted to send a "clear and unmistakable" message to Iran that "unrelenting force" would meet any attack on USA interests or those of its allies. Israel never claimed responsibility for the attacks, though Israeli officials have boasted in the past about the reach of the country's intelligence services.

Axios reports that senior Israeli officials said Israel supplied intelligence to the White House on an alleged Iranian plot to attack U.S. interests in the Persian Gulf.

The official said it was not clear whether the boats with missiles represented a new military capability that could be used against US forces or were only being moved to shore locations.

Also reacting to the announcement, China called on all parties to uphold the Iranian nuclear pact.

Here's where Iran's nuclear program and the unravelling accord now stand.

"The Islamic Republic of Iran does not at the current stage consider itself committed to observing restrictions regarding storing enriched uranium stocks and heavy water stocks", the council said. Iran has previously enriched to 20 percent. That's compared to the 10,000 kilograms (22,046 pounds) of higher-enriched uranium it once had.

Latest News