'House of horrors' parents receive sentencing, children deliver moving impact statements

David Allen Turpin 57 and Louise Anna Turpin 49

David Allen Turpin 57 and Louise Anna Turpin 49. Source Riverside County Sheriff's Department

David Turpin, 57, and wife Louise Turpin, 50, appeared on Friday in California's Riverside County Court, in the United States for sentencing after pleading guilty in February to 14 charges of torture, adult abuse, child endangerment, false imprisonment and more. The judge said they would be eligible for parole after 25 years.

"You have severed the ability to interact and raise your children that you have created and brought into this world", he said.

The couple sat stony-faced as the judge rebuked them for their "selfish, cruel and inhuman treatment".

"To the extent that they do thrive, and it appears from today that perhaps a couple are, it will be not because of you both, but in spite of you both", he rebuked the pair.

"I love my children and believe my children love me", he said.

David and Louise Turpin already pleaded guilty to horrific acts against 12 of their 13 children, including torture.

Before their parents' sentencing, two of David and Louise Turpin's children appeared in court Friday to provide emotional testimony about how they and their siblings were held captive and tortured for years in their California home. I remember our mother sitting in her recliner saying she 'don't know what to do.' She didn't want to use rope or chain, but was afraid her children were taking in too much sugar and caffeine.

"Their happiness is important to me".

"I love both of my parents so much".

Louise Turpin wept as she apologised for hurting her children, while her husband David Turpin struggled to give a short statement. David Turpin, through his lawyer, said that he had "good intentions".

Some of the children spoke publicly about the abuse for the first time during the sentencing hearing. None of the children had been seen previously at the trial.

Officials also discovered the children-who ranged in age from 2 to 29-were starved, beaten, and put in cages.

One of their daughters, weeping, said in court that "My parents took my whole life from me but now I'm taking my life back".

"He was telling me that no matter what happened with him, he hoped that he still had a relationship with his kids", Flores told Radar Online.

"I'm in college now and living independently".

"I'm a fighter, I'm strong and I'm shooting through life like a rocket", the daughter said.

Meanwhile, Jane Doe Number 4 sobbed softly, wiping her tears. "I long for the opportunity to have contact with them again", he said.

One of their sons said he "cannot describe in words what we went through going up".

"Sometimes I still have nightmares such as my siblings being chained up getting beaten", he said.

"But that is the past and this is now. I love my parents and have forgiven them for a lot of the things that they did to us". Investigators concluded that the couple's youngest child, a toddler, was the only one who was not abused.

Prosecutors said the victims had been denied proper nutrition, basic hygiene and medical care and were harshly punished for perceived infractions such as wasting water by washing their hands above the wrist.

The children were not allowed to play like normal children.

The Turpins are expected to be sentenced to at least 25 years in prison.

Other than an occasional family trip to Las Vegas or Disneyland, they rarely left the home.

It's a revelation that has prompted feelings of intense guilt for some of those who were close to the situation but unaware of it at the time.

Latest News