In the first 24 hours we removed 1.5 million videos of the attack globally, of which over 1.2 million were blocked at upload...
Gunmen staged the terrorist attacks on two mosques packed with worshipers attending Friday prayers in the South Island's city, which killed 49 people and injured 48 others.
There was a manifesto posted on message board 8chan and the shooting itself was live-streamed on Facebook as it was happening.
The social media giant made the announcement on Twitter, which was a follow up on an earlier announcement that claimed that it had removed the Facebook as well as Instagram accounts of the alleged shooter after the authorities alerted it.
"Shocking, violent and graphic content has no place on our platforms, and is removed as soon as we become aware of it", said YouTbue.
New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush and Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern have repeatedly urged citizens and the media not to share footage of the attack. "It is ever clearer that YouTube, in particular, has yet to grapple with the role it has played in facilitating radicalization."Facebook, Twitter and YouTube all said they were taking action to remove the videos".
Facebook, Twitter, Alphabet Inc and other social media companies have previously acknowledged the challenges they face policing content on their platforms.
This article has been adapted from its original source.
"This is an issue that I will look to be discussing with Facebook", she warned.
This is not the first time New Zealand companies have pulled ads from these platforms.
"One of the most complex global governance challenges confronting the worldwide community is the norms of how social media is to be regulated - with the added complexity that the objects of such norms are no longer sovereign states, but private businesses with platforms larger than most countries by population".
The critics of Google, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter included Home Secretary Sajid Javid MP, the chairman of Westminster's digital committee Damian Collins MP and Labour MP Tom Watson, who is his party's digital spokesman.
"I do think that there are further questions to be answered".
The social news site said it had also taken down posts that linked to the video or which showed the attack.
'This is a product of a social media age where it is so easy to broadcast what you are doing - and we might have to accept this will happen again'.
Echoing the words of Spark managing director Simon Moutter on Twitter over the weekend, Mouat said he found it really hard to believe that more couldn't be done to moderate the content on social media sites.
Helfgott said that particularly in terrorist attacks, using social media can fulfill the ultimate goal of terrorism.