President of Saudi Arabia's Human Rights Commission (HRC), Dr. Bandar al-Aiban, has said the Kingdom brought perpetrators of Khashoggi murder to justice and they have attended three hearings with their lawyers.
"We have taken those measures required for us to resolve this heinous crime", Aiban said, after calling the reporter's death an "unfortunate accident".
The Red Notice was reportedly issued for the former Saudi Deputy Intelligence Chief Ahmed al Asiri, and Saud al Qahtani, an advisor to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman.
Khashoggi was killed in the kingdom's Istanbul Consulate on October 2, 2018, by a team of 15 people consisting of Saudi officials who arrived in Turkey for his murder and a cover-up team also in charge of dismembering Khashoggi's body. He gave no names or details.
Will Saudi Arabia comply with global human rights law and its membership obligations by immediately releasing all human rights activists jailed for advocating peaceful reform, removing government-enforced travel restrictions for women, declaring a moratorium on the death penalty, starting with those convicted of non-violent drug offenses, and fully cooperating with the UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions on her inquiry into the Khashoggi murder, and with the Yemen Group of Eminent Experts?
Mr al Aiban rebuffed recommendations made by a number of United Nations countries for steps to, as the UK requested, "ensure [a] comprehensive and transparent investigation", with, as Iceland suggested, "international experts" into the murder. "Such demands made upon us are tantamount to the worldwide community doubting the integrity of our judicial apparatus and doubting the independence of our judiciary", he said.
His presentation came after 36 countries last week issued a joint statement demanding justice following the killing, in an unprecedented rebuke of the oil-rich kingdom at the rights council.
The CIA concluded late past year that bin Salman ordered the journalist's assassination, an accusation that has been echoed by USA senators and other observers.
As Saudi officials continue to reject calls for an independent investigation, they have also continued to dispute accusations that the country's crown prince was involved in Khashoggi's killing.
The Saudi consul-general in Istanbul at the time of the murder, Mohammed al-Otaibi, is also among the 20 individuals listed on Interpol's red notice. "The person who ordered this operation is still safe and he is still leading the country", Assiri said, referring to Salman.