British Teenager Charged Over Assault of 15-Year-Old Syrian Refugee

Bailey McLaren

Thousands Raised For Injured Syrian Refugee 'Waterboarded' By Bullies

The incident is said to have taken place on playing fields at a school in Huddersfield on October 25.

A highly disturbing video, which emerged on social media showing a 15-year-old Syrian refugee being aggressively thrown to the ground and "waterboarded" by another schoolboy, has sparked outrage.

Huddersfield Town are discussing what they can do for a Syrian refugee who was allegedly assaulted at a local school - including inviting him to a game.

The boy, who previously suffering a broken arm, told ITV: "I woke up at night and just started crying about this problem. Sometimes I say to my dad: 'I don't want to go to school any more.' I was just crying and I didn't do nothing because I respect the school rules".

A crowdfunding page dedicated to the victim has so far raised over $60,000.

A section of the description on the fundraising page reads: "We want to raise money for the family to ease their situation and hopefully they can use the funds to help improve their quality of life and to put a smile on their faces".

Police said they are investigating the incident, and have interviewed the alleged perpetrator of the attack.

Another donor, Simon Porter, said: 'Syrian refugee children who have fled a war torn country being bullied in a United Kingdom school is unacceptable'.

The force said the older boy, who can not be named for legal reasons, will appear at Youth Court "in due course".

Tasnime Akunjee, a lawyer representing the family, told Guardian that the family was considering to move away from the area and reportedly had offers to settle in Oxford.

"A 16-year-old boy has been interviewed by voluntary attendance in connection with the incident and we are continuing to progress the investigation".

The statement added that the victim "suffered a wrist injury" in a "previous unconnected incident" on October 7.

Huddersfield MP Barry Sheerman tweeted, "I immediately contacted Shabir Pandor Leader of Kirklees Council on seeing this sickening video this level of violence can not be tolerated". "Have been supporting the family since it was first brought to my attention".

‏He tweeted: "Video of assault against one of my constituents absolutely shocking".

The Daily Telegraph this week revealed that the boy's family are prepared to sue the school and Kirklees Council for compensation if evidence of safeguarding failures are found. "Will be following up to ensure all available support is being given!" he wrote. "The incident was not racial as up to that time we had been on good terms", he said.

In a statement, Almondbury head teacher Trevor Bowen said he wouldn't comment on the investigation but that the school does "not tolerate unacceptable behaviour of any sort".

Latest News