People disappointed in changes to Ontario social assistance

Ford government announces social assistance overhaul

Ford government scrapping basic income pilot project

On Tuesday, MacLeod described the previous system enacted by the former Liberal government as a "disjointed, patchwork system with no interest in whether these programs delivered results".

A Canadian province has chose to end its basic universal income program, which was launched in 2017, after lawmakers decided it was "not sustainable".

The food bank also criticizes the Ford government's decision to cancel Ontario's basic income pilot project.

The pilot program, launched in 2017 by the previous Liberal government, was expected to last three years, according to The Guardian.

Eligible participants selected for the program were receiving up to $16,989 per year for a single person and up to $24,027 per year for a couple, less 50 per cent of any earned income.

Minister of Children, Communities and Social Services Lisa MacLeod said the 1.5 per cent increase was an immediate measure as the province reviewed its social assistance programs with the aim of announcing reforms in 100 days.

The argument is that, if paid universally, basic income would provide a guaranteed safety net.

Conservative Sen. Hugh Segal is a big proponent of a guaranteed basic income program
Conservative Sen. Hugh Segal is a big proponent of a guaranteed basic income program

The Ontario Coalition Against Poverty, which had been critical of the project, said cancelling it only a year in "demonstrates a reckless disregard for the lives of almost 4,000 people.who planned their lives on the assurance of having a set income for three years". When pressed several times she said "we had a platform and this was not in the platform".

Participants in the program received an email Wednesday saying their payments would continue through August but got no further details about how the project would be phased out, said Tom Cooper, director of the Hamilton Roundtable for Poverty Reduction.

Lisa MacLeod, Ontario Minister of Children, Community and Social Services.

"It was certainly not going to be sustainable".

Mike Schreiner, Guelph MPP and Green Party leader, considers the increase to be a cut to the social assistance rate.

The Ottawa Food Bank says it's disappointed in the decision by Ontario's PC government to cancel a basic income pilot project, and to pull back on planned increases to social assistance rates. MacLeod suggested the basic income pilot was a disincentive to people to find work.

Ziegner says she is "overwhelmed" when thinking about how the families who had previously signed up for the program are feeling.

Latest News