US President Donald Trump and DPRK leader Kim Jong Un concluded their meeting in Singapore by signing a statement covering issues that included a pledge from the DPRK to work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
He made the remarks when asked if the U.S. would like to accomplish major nuclear disarmament before Trump's first term, which will end in January 2021.
"We can't dismiss the summit as a failure".
A task force has also been created to prepare for the possible resumption of inter-Korean exchanges in sports, culture and tourism, reported the South Korean news agency.
Trump has credited his "maximum pressure" campaign of crippling trade and economic sanctions for bringing Kim to the negotiating table and vowed to keep them in place until North Korea complies with its promises.
Trump has sought to portray his unprecedented meeting with Kim as a significant accomplishment that has made the world less vulnerable to the North's nuclear arsenal.
Most Western observers have said the deal appears to include significant concessions from the U.S. while including no new commitments from North Korea nor details on how denuclearisation could be achieved.
The US president says everyone can feel much safer now that he has signed a historic document with the North Korean leader to promote peace. He said negotiations would recommence "in the next week or so".
Instead the statement commits Pyongyang to "work toward complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula". "So I reject that analysis that it costs too much, but I do accept the proposition, let's stand down (on military exercises) and see if we can find a better way here". "We are not going to let that happen, and he's got to get the message that something's got to change", Lamborn said.
Trump, who returned to Washington early on Wednesday, hailed the meeting with Kim, the first between a sitting US president and a North Korean leader, as a success that had removed the North Korean threat. He added that the initial agreement between Trump and Kim had not captured all of what had been agreed by the two sides.
Trump however seems to have caught allies off guard by saying he would stop U.S. The words came back to haunt the administration, as the war dragged on throughout Bush's presidency.
"There is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea". Trump's claim is dubious given that independent experts estimate Pyongyang has enough fissile material for 20 to 60 bombs. His focus on diplomacy, including earlier meetings with the leaders of China and South Korea, is a sharp contrast with his rapid-fire testing of long-range missiles and the fiery exchanges of threats and insults past year that created real fears of a war on the Korean Peninsula.
The move - long demanded by Pyongyang - has been seen as a major concession to North Korea and appeared to take U.S. allies in the region by surprise.
Then later, a video sequence suggests what impoverished North Korea could look like. "No longer - sleep well tonight!"
Actually, concerns about North Korean missiles and nuclear weapons reached a peak last year, during Trump's first year in office, as the North conducted more tests and Trump and Kim aimed ever more fiery rhetoric at each other.
"The strength of this agreement will only be as good as the verification process that North Korea allows".