Speaking at a press conference at Sydney Airport upon his arrival, Smith had said, "I want to, as captain of the Australian cricket team, I take full responsibility".
"Thank you to all those who have sent messages of support".
The CA's code of conduct says all three players could take until the day before the possible April 11 hearings to advise whether they will challenge the charges.
"Their distressed faces have sent a message across the globe is as effective as any sanctions could be", he said. I know I'll regret this for the rest of my life.
He also said the contrition expressed by players had been "extraordinary" and should be taken into account, urging a relaxation to allow the men to return to domestic action sooner. Warner and Smith at least are understood to be weighing appeals and Warner's lawyers have reportedly requested evidence gathered during CA's investigation after the scandal surfaced.
In the fallout of the scandal, Smith - along with co-conspirator David Warner and patsy Cameron Bancroft - lost an extremely lucrative Indian Premier League contract, and has had multiple sponsors desert him.
"Of the dozen or so matters of this type, the most severe suspension to date has been a ban for two one-day internationals", Dyer said.
"These proposed penalties are disproportionate relative to precedent", he told a press conference.
While Smith was suspended for one year from global and domestic cricket by CA, he was free to contest the charge and walk the legal way in pursuit of a lighter penalty.
Were the players treated unfairly?
Smith - the world's number one Test batsman - was charged with knowledge of the potential ball-altering plan, while Warner was charged with developing the plot and instructing Bancroft to carry it out.
"Full information process is really what's important in this", she said. I will do everything I can to make up for my mistake and the damage it's caused.