Two private Kenyan TV stations back on air

Two private Kenyan TV stations back on air

Two private Kenyan TV stations back on air

Kenyatta won a second five-year term in office during the rerun, and he was sworn in as the country's leader in a ceremony last November.

A Kenyan opposition politician was charged with treason on Tuesday over the symbolic presidential "swearing in" of opposition leader Raila Odinga, reigniting street protests in which one person was killed.

A well-known TV news anchor said last week that he and two other journalists were forced to spend the night in their newsroom to avoid arrest.

Around 100 people were killed during the protracted election season, majority Odinga supporters shot by the police.

He was charged with "being present and consenting to the administration of an oath to commit a capital offence, namely treason", says the charge sheet quoted by Reuters.

Miguna was detained in a dawn raid on his Nairobi home on Friday after that of another opposition leader a day earlier. He was granted bail of 50,000 Kenyan shillings ($500) but has remained in police custody with his whereabouts unknown - something Kenya's lawyers' association said breached his rights.

Two private Kenyan TV stations back on air
Two private Kenyan TV stations back on air

Justice Luka Kimaru has directed the DPP to appear before court at 12:00pm to confirm whether Miguna has been charged.

Miguna was arrested on Friday and police have been detaining him at Lari Police Station since then despite orders to release him.

"We are back on air", said Joe Ageyo, the managing editor of Kenya Television Network.

Also on Tuesday, the government suspended the passport of David Ndii, an opposition strategist, according to a letter he posted on Twitter. Mr Odinga boycotted a re-run election in October, saying no reforms had been made to the electoral commission.

Kenyan police fired teargas on Monday to disperse 100 demonstrators demanding that the government reopen three private television channels it shut down on over their coverage of the opposition.

The Judge was furious by the Government's actions of not following the court orders as enshrined in the constitution by not charging a suspect within 24 hours after being arrested.

Latest News