Australian police have arrested a man they allege was planning to carry out a terror attack during New Year's Eve celebrations in Melbourne.
That property is still being searched by police while his place of work, a computer business in Footscray, and a relative's home in Meadow Heights are no longer being searched after warrants were executed at those locations on Monday.
"They are working 24/7 to keep Australia safe", Mr McCartney said.
Police said the man had not obtained an automatic weapon by the time of his arrest in the suburb of Werribee.
Last year, about 500,000 people celebrated New Year's Eve in Melbourne's city center.
Victoria and Australian Federal Police tracked Ali Khalif Shire Ali and said he planned to shoot "as many people as he could" in an attack in Melbourne's CBD.
Divulging details about the perpetrator, Patton said that he was in Police's radar as a man of interest ever since January this year.
It's alleged the man accessed a guidebook produced by al-Qaeda containing information on how to commit a terrorist act and use firearms, guns and handguns and rifles.
British authorities discovered that Besim was having discussions with a British teenager who subsequently became the youngest person to ever be convicted for extremism-related offenses in the country.
He is now being interviewed in relation to the offences of Acts in Preparation to Commit a Terrorist Attack and Collecting Documents to Facilitate a Terrorist Act, contrary to the Commonwealth Criminal Code Act.
Police say there is no ongoing threat to the public.
Specialised squads including Water Police, Mounted Branch, Operations Response Unit and Air Wing were deployed across the state.