Navy Rescues 2 Sailors, Dogs Lost At Sea For Five Months

Released  Distributed by Navy Media Content Operations

Navy Rescues 2 Sailors, Dogs Lost At Sea For Five Months

On May 30, they hit turbulent weather and lost power to their engine. Their mast was damaged.

Their boat then drifted in the open seas about 1500km southeast of Japan. The duo said they continued on, hoping to reach land by sail.

The pair left Hawaii on May 3 on the Sea Nymph, bound for Tahiti, about 2,600 miles way. The crew contacted the U.S. Coast Guard at Guam.

Video of the rescue shows one of the women excitedly blowing kisses of gratitude from the deck of their damaged ship while her two dogs bark excitedly.

Jennifer Appel and Tasha Fuiava, and their two dogs, were found after setting off from Hawaii for Tahiti this spring.

"They saved our lives", Jennifer Appel said after the rescue. "The pride and grins we had when we saw [U.S. Navy] upcoming was unadulterated alleviation". They were picked up by an American landing ship Ashland.

"It was very depressing and very hopeless, but it's the only thing you can do, so you do what you can do", she said, according to an audio recording of the call. "They attacked at night". "And when they would turn or keep going", she said. Zeus the dog appears in good spirits, if a bit skinny.

"It was incredibly emotional and it was so satisfying to know the men and women that serve our country would come and assist us", Appel said in a call with the media Thursday. "So she had several problems that caused her to end up drifting in the ocean", the elder Appel said. In that time, the elder Appel moved and got a new phone number and was anxious her daughter wouldn't know where to call.

"I had hope all along, she is very resourceful and she's curious and as things break she tries to fix them, she doesn't sit and wait for the repairman to get there, so I knew the same thing would be true of the boat". They also had a water purifier.

For sailors of the Ashland, it was just another day on the job.

"The two proceeded with the calls every day, except they were not sufficiently close to different vessels or shore stations to get them", the Navy said.

Cmdr. Steven Wasson, Ashland commanding officer, shrugged off his ship's efforts.

Latest News