The country's first high-speed Tejas Express boasting of Wi-Fi, LCD screens, and automatic doors, was flagged off on May 22. When the train arrived in Mumbai at 9.30 pm, numerous other passengers related their ordeal. A total of 26 passengers had to be admitted in hospital, including 6 in the Intensive Care Unit, after suffering from food poisoning.
A Central Railway official, who did not want to be named, told IANS: "The passengers complained of uneasiness and nausea around 12.10 p.m. after eating the breakfast served to them". The train was on its way from Goa's Karmali to Mumbai's Chattrapati Shivaji Terminus.
According to the Newspaper, In an official communication, IRCTC assured of strict action. Ratnagiri station. numerous passengers While railway authorities would not travelling in C-l, C-2, C-5 and C-7 coaches confirm which food item led to the situa- suffered from uneasiness, while some oth- tion, the problem was reported after pas- ers were vomiting and suffering from loose sengers were served soup and bread sticks motions.
Ambulances were requisitioned and they were admitted to a local hospital and are under observation, IRCTC stated.
"The passengers admitted to hospital are out of danger", the IRCTC official added.
Also, it said a probe has been launched to ascertain the source of food poisoning. "Passengers also reach station before time and eat food items from outside stalls as train departs at 9 am". After couple of hours, more passengers complained of similar symptoms, it said.
Some confusion prevailed after Konkan Railway Corporation Railway put the number of ill passengers at 26 while the IRCTC said it was 24.
Railways have ordered an inquiry into the incidents and food packets served on board have been sent for investigation.