The warning was issued due to reports of travelers becoming extremely ill or blacking out after the consumption of alcohol in Mexican resorts. "If you choose to drink alcohol, it is important to do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill". Check back for more information.
Mexican officials said over the past seven years, they've seized more than a million gallons of tainted alcohol from Mexican businesses, including resorts.
"The safety and security of guests is utmost priority for us", it said in a statement".
The updated guidance follows a major story this week from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel detailing numerous instances of sickness, blackouts and injuries at some five-star, all-inclusive resorts in the Cancun and Playa del Carmen areas.
Both were found floating in the pool some time later - Abbey face-down and not breathing, and Austin with a large lump on his head and severe concussion.
Connor, 20, was pulled from a pool at an Iberostar resort near Playa del Carmen in January, according to the paper. The two had arrived with their mother and stepfather at the resort just hours earlier and had been drinking at a swim-up bar.
Abbey Conner and her brother Aaron had a blood alcohol level of about.25 when they went swimming, the report said.
Travelers also told the Journal Sentinel they faced difficulties getting help in Mexico, from reluctance by police to take reports to hospitals and clinics demanding cash payments _ sometimes of amounts that seemed to involve gouging.
The state department tells CBS News that people who become sick after drinking in Mexico should immediately contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate. "We are deeply saddened by this incident and reiterate our deepest sympathies and condolences to the family".