Parents still fighting for Charlie Gard's treatment

Baby Charlie Gard and parents

Baby Charlie Gard and parents

"There are now seven doctors supporting us from all over the world - from Italy, from America, from England as well - and they think that [experimental treatment] has a chance, you know, up to 10 percent chance of working for Charlie, and we feel that that's a chance worth taking", Yates said today, adding that they have been fighting for this opportunity since their son arrived at the hospital.

The 11-month-old's parents have been in a protracted legal battle with hospital doctors, who said the experimental treatment the couple have argued Charlie should receive will not help.

The couple delivered a petition to the hospital of more than 350,000 signatures, calling on doctors at GOSH to allow Charlie to receive experimental treatment overseas.

Supporters say they will give the hospital a petition signed by 350,000 people backing the parents' rights to take the baby from the hospital for treatment.

"If he's still fighting, we're still fighting", she said.

The same day, US President Donald Trump tweeted that the US would be delighted to help the boy.

Flanked by supporters of their cause, Connie Yates and Chris Gard spoke outside London's Great Ormond Street Hospital, where Charlie has been kept since November.

High Court listings show a hearing is due to take place at 2pm on Monday July 10th.

Mary Schindler and her daughter Terri Schiavo
Mary Schindler and her daughter Terri Schiavo after Terri had suffered her brain injury

Along with Charlie's father Chris Gard, she had earlier vowed that the fight for their baby to receive experimental treatment was "not over".

"Two global hospitals and their researchers have communicated to us as late as the last 24 hours that they have fresh evidence about their proposed experimental treatment", the hospital statement said.

It said its doctors had "explored every medical treatment" and that further treatment "would be unjustified. and would prolong Charlie's suffering". The Vatican's children's hospital also offered to treat the child, but the move was barred by "legal reasons".

Charlie is bedridden, suffering from encephalomyopathic mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome, a rare genetic condition considered to be terminal. "If he is still fighting, we are still fighting".

"It gives [Charlie] a few more days and it means that the court can, in fact, rule that the hospital does not have the right, after all, to remove his ventilator and his feeding tube, and in fact should be transferred to another hospital to receive this cutting edge therapy or in fact even provide it right here", said Ms. Glenn-Foster. His parents want him taken to the USA for experimental therapy.

Charlie's parents are protesting the decision by Great Ormond Street Hospital to turn down their request to bring him to the USA for treatment.

Great Ormond Street Hospital said on Friday it had applied to the High Court for a fresh hearing in light of claims of new evidence relating to potential treatment for his condition.

The hospital said in June that if did apply for ethical permission to attempt nucleoside therapy on baby Charlie, but by the time that decision was made, the infant's condition had worsened.

Latest News