Normal operations resumed at an Air Force base that was partially evacuated early Thursday, when potentially explosive material was detected during a routine inspection of a delivery truck.
Shortly before 11am, the Massachusetts State Police released this statement: 'At approximately 0945 hours today we were notified of a suspicious truck that had been stopped by base security at Gate 1 at Hanscom Air Force Base. A woman who answered the phone at the company's Acton headquarters said "we don't know what's going on" and declined further comment.
State police bomb squad commander Sgt.
U.S. Air Force officials said security forces detected a concern during a routine vehicle inspection around 9 a.m., causing the base to take "response actions".
A spokesperson for Big Foot Moving, which owns the truck, told NBC Boston that they are cooperating with authorities, but they do not believe that there is any reason for concern.
Hanscom AFB emerged as the Air Force's center for development and acquisition of electronic systems in 1945. "There was a second check done that also tested positive", Massachusetts State Police Major Francis Leahy said. They have also closed the nearby exit from Route 2A and are asking news helicopters to refrain from flying overhead.
No injuries have been reported at this time and the investigation is ongoing.
Hanscom Field, a civilian airport adjacent to the base, remained in operation throughout the incident, according to the Massachusetts Port Authority, which operates the commercial facility. The base spans land in Concord, Bedford and Lincoln.