Death toll from Pakistan attacks climbs to 73

The writer is a research student at UW-Madison’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication and a former correspondent of The Express Tribune

The writer is a research student at UW-Madison’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication and a former correspondent of The Express Tribune

A suicide bomber yesterday blew up his explosives-laden auto near Inspector General of Police Ehsan Mehboob's office in Quetta, the capital of Balochistan province, killing at least 13 people, including seven policemen, and wounding 21 others.

Also on Friday, 13 people were killed in a auto bomb blast in the southwestern city of Quetta, a key city in Balochistan province.

Jamaat-ur-Ahrar, a faction of the Pakistan Taliban, has claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement sent out its spokesperson Asad Mansoor. The death toll from multiple attacks in Pakistan rose to 57, officials said Saturday, a day after the bomb and gun assaults in three cities shook the country as it prepared to mark the end of Ramadan, Islam's holiest month.

Another bombing in the southwestern city of Quetta killed 13 people and a drive-by shooting killed four police officers in the southern megacity of Karachi yesterday. The blasts claimed at least 45 lives, while 75 others were also wounded.

Officials at the city's Civil Hospital said at least 13 people were killed and around 20 injured, mostly by shrapnel.

The death toll in the blasts in Quetta and Parachinar area of Pakistan has touched 63, media reports said.

The military condemned the deadly attack in a statement and said two army aviation helicopters had taken off from Peshawar to Parachinar to quickly evacuate to Peshawar those who are injured.

The emergency and rescue services shifted injured to Agency Headquarters hospital Parachinar.

About three weeks ago, security forces claimed to have conducted an operation near Mastung town of Balochistan in which 12 suspected IS men had been killed.

The Pakistan Army launched a countrywide intelligence-led military operation against militants.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif strongly condemned the terrorist attack in Parachinar and directed concerned authorities to increase security across the country.

He said the nature of the blast is yet to be determined.

"These attacks which took place on the eve of Eid al-Fitr in Quetta and Parachinar show the inhuman face of terror".

The disrupted plan involved Afghan intelligence trying to work with the Pakistan Taliban, allies of Al Qaeda, in order to find a trump card in a baroque regional power game that is likely to intensify after the American withdrawal, the officials said.

The earliest suicide bombing took place in Quetta, the capital of Balochistan Province, where police tried to search a vehicle at a checkpoint and the driver detonated a cache of explosives.

Later in March, an explosion targeting a security forces convoy occurred on Saryab Road.

More casualties were reported in Parachinar where 50 people were killed.

Latest News