LONDON (AP) - A solemn Queen Elizabeth II marked a minute of silence Saturday for victims of the London high-rise inferno that killed at least 30 people as exhausted firefighters continued their grim search for more bodies.
The protesters barged their way through an automatic door at Kensington and Chelsea council town hall and sought to gain entry to an upper floor.
"We as the police, we investigate criminal offences - I am not sitting here and saying there are criminal offences that have been committed, that's why you do an investigation, to establish it", he said.
Some people then left the building though others remained inside. Several dozen police, including mounted officers, were in attendance.
"The local community feels their grief has been made worse by the lack of information about their missing family members and friends", he wrote.
She has also launching a public inquiry into the fire, demanding that Londoners "deserve answers".
But she sidestepped questions over whether she had failed to judge the public mood. They had lived on the 22nd floor of the tower. They say their complaints were ignored - and fear it was because the tower was full of poor people in a predominantly wealthy borough.
Prime Minister May vowed on Friday to rehouse victims of the tragedy within three weeks, assuring that the cost of temporary accommodation will be met on their behalf.
"There is a risk that sadly we may not be able to identify everybody", he said, adding that he hoped the death toll will not hit "triple figures".
Speaking on Good Morning Britain, the X Factor boss revealed that he had also visited the site and saw firsthand how residents have reached out to help one another.
National media in London reported extensively Friday that it would have cost just 5,000 pounds (6,400 USA dollars) extra for a cladding material with better fire protection qualities.
A second protest took place later in central London.
London Police said an investigation had been launched to determine whether the blaze involved any crimes and May announced a public inquiry, a type of probe that's used to investigate issues of major public concern. "Sadly we do not expect there to be any survivors".
The death toll is expected to rise further as rescue workers continue to search for victims - an operation that Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy described as "extremely challenging".