British police arrest man in London Bridge attack investigation

British police arrest man in London Bridge attack investigation

British police arrest man in London Bridge attack investigation

But British police said Zaghba was "not a police or MI5 subject of interest".

People stand around floral tributes on the south side of London Bridge near Borough Market after the terrorist attack in London, Britain, June 5, 2017.

Fears are also growing for 45-year-old Xavier Thomas, who has not been seen since Saturday night.

Anti-terror police have arrested another man in connection with the London Bridge attack in an early-morning raid on a home in east London.

Police said Tuesday that his family has been notified.

Boats from the police marine unit and the Royal National Lifeboat Institution have been searching the river since the attack.

The police have come under scrutiny following the identification of the attackers because one of them was known to the authorities.

He appeared in a Channel 4 documentary called "The Jihadis Next Door" a year ago and was once asked to leave a mosque in east London for being disruptive.

If confirmed, Thomas would be the eighth person killed in the vehicle and knife attack.

Zaghba visited her at her home near Bologna several times and in March 2016, after being stopped at Bologna airport, he was investigated for possible worldwide terrorist activity but released, according to the newspaper.

All three attackers in the Saturday incident were killed by police officers after mowing down pedestrians on London Bridge before stabbing people in adjacent Borough Market.

Police have named Youssef Zaghba, a 22-year-old Moroccan-Italian man who lived in east London, Khuram Butt, 27, from Barking, and Rachid Redouane, 30, who also lived in Barking, as the men who carried out the attack. Butt was previously known to security agencies and had appeared in a British TV documentary called "The Jihadis Next Door".

Police reportedly found ISIS propoganda videos on his cellphone, but after an investigation, they failed to find sufficient evidence of links to terrorism to prosecute him.

A CNN report has since claimed that he was on the watchlist of Italy after being "stopped at the Bologna airport by Italian airport police in March 2016 as he was trying to board a plane bound for Istanbul".

Latest News